Monday, August 23, 2010

NYX 10 Color Palette Eye Shadow: Smokey Eye Review

While trying to copy Blair (juicystar07) on YouTube, I noticed she used a NYX palette to do a smokey eye, so I headed out to Ulta to buy one, too.

I couldn't find the exact "Night in Morocco" palette that she used, so I settled for this NYX 10 Color Palette Eye shadow for Your Eyes Only: Smokey Eyes. It looked similar to what she had, so I went ahead and bought it.

The colors, let me just say looked absolutely horrible on me. I tried a tiny but of all of them, and I didn't like the quality of the shadows, or the colors. I then tried following the instructions that came with the palette, and that looked even worse. I even looked at tutorials on YouTube with people that had the same palette as me... not impressed.

Obviously, the next day I went back and returned it.

It just goes to show that the smokey eye is a very complicated look, and just being good with makeup does not mean that a cheap palette will work good. If you are serious about the smokey eye, go to MAC and buy a few shadows from there, or ask the people working at Sephora. You need to spend real money (around $50+) for a real, good smokey eye look. I am not serious enough about the smokey eye to spend that much, so I'm fine with using pretty pink and light cinnamon shadows instead.

Pro's: lots of shadows in this palette, cheap price, some of the lighter colors in this palette have nice potential on their own.
Con's: does NOT create a pretty smokey eye look, quality reflects the price, beginners will have absolutely no idea what to do.

Price -- $8-$10
Worth the price? -- No.
Where to buy -- Ulta stores, cherryculture.com, Amazon, Ulta.com

Picture credit to Vampy Varnish.

1 comment:

  1. loteprednol eye drop is used for the treatment of redness and swelling in the eyes caused by infection or allergy. It provides relief from redness, itchiness, and soreness by preventing the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation

    ReplyDelete